Saturday, August 13, 2005

Friday's Movie Challenge

Via Majikthise:

"Amanda sets Friday's movie challenge: list your favorite well-drawn female characters in movies. I found this exercise much more difficult than I expected."

Me too. In some ways, and this is pretty sad, television has been kinder to women than film has. (Roseanne, Maude, The Sopranos, and Mary Tyler Moore leap to mind.) Still, I can think of some, and here they are:

Scarlett Johansson as Charlotte in Lost In Translation.

Halle Berry as Leticia Musgrove in Monster's Ball

Pam Grier as Jackie Brown in Jackie Brown

Nicole Kidman as Alice Harford in Eyes Wide Shut

Maggie Smith as Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Shelley Winters as Charlotte Haze in Lolita (1962)

Jessica Lange as Julie Nichols in Tootsie

Lorraine Bracco as Karen Hill in Goodfellas

Margot Kidder as Lois Lane in Superman II

Every woman (Monroe included) who appears in All About Eve

Bette Davis as Baby Jane Hudson in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

Janet Leigh as Marion Crane in Psycho

Susan Sarandon as Annie Savoy in Bull Durham

Faye Dunaway as Diana Christensen in Network

Beatrice Straight as Louise Schumacher in Network

Piper Laurie as Sarah Packard in The Hustler

Diana Rigg as Teresa D'Vicenzo in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I think I'll stop here. I found quite a few, didn't I?

No comments: