Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Wish

Among the habits I'm less than proud of is my penchant for playing James Bond video games. I didn't get to play Goldeneye, which I understand to be a classic, but I've had loads of fun with Nightfire, Brosnan's Everything Or Nothing, and with Connery's From Russia With Love.

My one complaint about FRWL is that the film doesn't really make the best video game material. It's a taut story with lots of wonderful characters, but aside from the group battle at the gypsy camp, there aren't a lot of moments that seem ripe for videogame adaptation. The video game elements seemed tacked on, imported as they were from other Bond pictures (the Aston Martin from Goldfinger, the jetpack from Thunderball). The classic scenes on the Orient Express take place in cut scenes, depriving the player the opportunity to fight Red Grant as Bond did in the film. If they wanted to do a Connery film as a videogame, You Only Live Twice might have been a better choice.

Still, that is not my wish. What I'd kill to see EA do is release a videogame version of The Spy Who Loved Me. Now there's a Bond film with lots of gaming potential. Ski chases, car chases, submarine chases, a battle on a Supertanker, the fight with Jaws at Atlantis. It would be the ultimate 007 game, and I'm sure they could coax Sir Roger into doing the voice part.

No comments: