Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Good Day

The Democrats have taken one, and possibly both houses of congress. There's a lot of ugliness still to come, and I still see this country as one in enormous political and cultural trouble, but at least this is a step in a more hopeful direction. I wish I could feel good about Donald Rumsfeld's departure, but even if an ostensibly reasonable person replaces him (and I don't think that Robert Gates, who deliberately exaggerated the Soviet threat to please his masters in the Reagan administration, represents that much of an improvement), you have to watch for the people Cheney will stick in as his aides. For all we know, the new guy's assignment may be just to sit there and look respectable, kind of like Powell. I'd pity the man, if I were still capable of pity for anyone associated with the Bushes.

Still, things look better today than yesterday, if only slightly.

Tonight I go to see Waiting for Godot for the first time (on stage anyway). My personal Godots are hope for the future and the Oakland Raiders offense. The Raiders' offense still hasn't shown up, but I think I see, maybe it's...

No comments: