Wednesday, May 04, 2005

One last thing

I forgot to say something about this line from Kevin Smith's review:

"This flick is so satisfyingly tragic, you'll think you're watching 'Othello' or 'Hamlet'."

I don't know, Kevin. I think I'd have to take a lot of hallucinogens to be fooled that way. Lucas may be many things, but Shakespeare he's not. This statement makes me wonder if Kevin Smith has ever actually seen OTHELLO or HAMLET, or if he's familiar with them only as brand names signifying tragedy. The STAR WARS films are, or can be, fun; but they don't bat in the same league with Shakespeare, Cervantes, Homer, Virgil, or Orson Welles or Stanley Kubrick for that matter. To claim otherwise is to demonstrate either a profound ignorance of the subject matter, or a complete lack of discernment.

No comments: