Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Book Meme

I read about this on Majikthise. Nobody passed it to me, but I thought I'd play anyway. (I'm so lonely.)

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to save?

John Gardner's "Art of Fiction" (Ayn Rand wrote a book with the same title. You might want to read her fiction before entertaining her advice. Or, for a similar and less costly experience, you might want to stare directly into the sun until your retinas fry.) or Kafka's "Amerika", whichever one fits best in my secret hiding place.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Yeah, Elizabeth Bennett really got to me. What does she see in that Darcy guy? For a sweet, savage time I was hot for Fermina Daza in "Love In the Time of Cholera". I also lusted after Dido from The Aneiad and Circe from The Odyssey. As you can see I, like the women Strom Thurmand (Dana Carvey) described in the SNL-Clarence-Thomas-hearings sketch, prefer stories with costumes that transport me to another place and time.

The last book you bought is?

I've been poor lately so I haven't purchased much. The last book I received as a gift was Julian Barnes's collection of short stories "The Lemon Table".

What are you currently reading?

Right now I'm rereading George Kennan's "American Diplomacy".

Five books you would take to a deserted island.

1. The Boy Scout Manual (Good first aid and outdoor living tips. I can use the rest for kindling).
2. "Moby Dick"
3. Kafka's "Der Schloss"
4. "Lenin: A Biography" by Robert Service
5. "The Ice Age" by Me (There's always more revising to do.)

Will Bitterspice pick it up from here? I don't know anyone one else who maintains a blog, so I can't pass it further. (Remember how I said I'm so lonely.) Anyway, we'll have to wait and see.

No comments: