Tuesday, April 26, 2005

You Really Needn't Have Put Yourself Out, George

George Lucas reports that he had to "force himself" to write STAR WARS EPISODE III. It won't be nearly as painful as when I have to force myself to watch it, I'm sure.

Oh, there was a post on Yglesias called "Relativism Watch" that touches lightly on this topic:

"Julian Sanchez reports that just as Benedict XVI fears, Star Wars: Episode Three, will reveal that the Sith have a plot to institute a dictatorship of relativism and bring down the Old Republic."

The quote Sanchez uses brings to mind this exchange between Luke and Obi-Wan in RETURN OF THE JEDI:

Luke: Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.
Obi-Wan: Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So I was right, from a certain point of wiew.
Luke: From a certain point of wiew!
Obi-Wan: Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Relativism, relativism everywhere in the galaxy far, far away. In a conflict between dark and light relativism, whither an absolutist Pope?

No comments: