Thursday, June 09, 2005

Not the World's Most Encouraging Words

Brett Ratner promises not to screw up "X-men 3". He then proceeds to sound like a major league doofus. No wonder his "Red Dragon" stank. My guess he didn't understand half the things the characters were saying.

I found this especially funny:

"I'm not Joel Schumacher," he said of the fan-despised director behind "Batman Forever" and the even more poorly received "Batman & Robin," "and I'm not ... um ... who did the third Superman?"

That would be Richard Lester. "I'm Brett," Ratner said, "and all I know is what I know, what I can do and what I have to work with."

Well, he doesn't know much, because Richard Lester didn't just direct "Superman III"; he also directed "Superman II" (widely considered the best of the series), "The Knack", "A Hard Day's Night", "Help!", and "The Three Musketeers". People have been watching his movies for thirty years, a feat Brett Ratner will be unlikely to match. I will agree on this, he is not Joel Schumacher, but then again, neither am I. So I don't see how that's a qualification to direct "X-Men 3".

I should say I don't have a stake in who directs "X-Men 3". I'm not a fan. I just like busting the chops of stupid people.

Parting shot: Yes, Brett, someday Brandon Routh will die, and I'm sure that someone will call it tragic. This will also be true of Dean Cain and Tim Daly, and you, and (unfortunately) me.

No comments: