Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Current Netflix Films

What I'm watching now:

The Sweet Smell of Success (1957) Tony Curtis, Burt Lancaster. If Paths of Glory reflects the most terrifyingly cynical ways in which human beings can treat each other, this film isn't far behind. Curtis plays beta male to Lancaster's alpha, but they're both terrified men. Neither of them can handle things slipping out of their control, and they'll use any means, however dirty, to ensure that things never do. An ugly portrait of the gossip column business in which I see not Walter Winchell, but modern bullies like Bill O'Reilly. (That's a generational thing, I guess.)

The Muppet Movie I haven't watched this one in over twenty years. I can't wait to see Kermit on the bicycle again.

Reilly: Ace of Spies Disc 2. I missed this series when I was younger, but I loved the first disc. Sam Neill would have made an excellent James Bond. Hell, he makes an excellent anything. How he manages to be feral and elegant simultaneously I just don't know.

No comments: