Monday, February 20, 2006

Irving Goes to Jail

You can read the story here. I'm not a huge fan of throwing twits like Irving into prison for being twits--as I see it, you have the right to believe whatever half-witted bullshit you please, provided I have the right to debunk your fool ideas and mock you mercilessly. Still, it's hard to summon up much sympathy for Irving, a lying prick:

"I've never been a Holocaust denier and I get very angry when I'm called a Holocaust denier," he said.

I guess when Irving said in Erroll Morris's Mr. Death that the Leuchter Report made him a "hardcore disbeliever", he was talking about Santa Claus.

UPDATE: Michael Shermer, who has interviewed Irving, writes this well-considered editorial Free Speech, Even If It Hurts. I agree. Let's spring the bastard, for principle's sake. But let's use the truth to carve the hateful son of a bitch to pieces once he's out.

No comments: